* There's recent news that the famous Pune based Mountaineering club "Giripremi" will put a 6 member expedition team together to Lhotse in the summer of 2013 , this is after a successful experience the team and the club had on Everest in 2012 .
* In May 2012 , a Kolkatta based team with members - Dipankar Ghosh and Rajiv Bhattacharjee, accompanied by Nga Tashi Sherpa and Karma Sherpa set foot on the summit of Mt Lhotse, the fourth highest peak in the world. Theirs was the first civilian team from West Bengal to scale the peak
Some Interesting facts about this mountain :
1. The huge South Face is one of steepest in world, rising 1.9 miles in 1.4 miles.
2. The summit is very sharp with no place to sit down.
3. Lhotse has three summits: Lhotse Main (8,516 meters), Lhotse Shar (8,383 meters), and Lhotse East (8,413 meters).
4. The first ascent was made during the Swiss Mt. Everest/Lhotse Expedition in 1956, during which the Swiss made the second ascent of Mt. Everest.
5. Tomo Cesan claimed he climbed the massive South Face in 1990. Most climbers didn’t believe that a solo climber could ascend this difficult wall that had defeated many strong parties. He later recanted saying he only reached the summit ridge, but most don’t believe that either.
6. A Russian expedition climbed the South Face later in 1990 and said a solo ascent was impossible.
7. Lhotse is the least climbed 8,000-meter peak in Nepal.
ABOUT INDIAN MOUNTAINEERS
With climbing being one of the fastest growing recreational sports in India, millions of amateur trekking and climbing enthusiasts are exploring the adrenaline rush of this mentally and physically stimulating sport. Thousand's of certified Mountaineers are graduating from the 4 premium National Mountaineering Institutes in India annually and are exploring the largest and youngest mountain range in the world, standing sentinel across the North of our country.